Monday, January 02, 2006

Claro

yeehaw!

soooo.. this song is a collaboration between us and jacob mills, out in houston texas, and i hope we can continue with 'em. i think this just turned out great. a lot of it had to do with emily, if i'm lucky she'll get involved and motivated, and it really paid off this time.. i had the music and the basic structure for it, but emily came along and played piano on it, which almost made me forgo the guitar entirely. we sang some, did some handclaps and tambourine.. umm.. two whistle tracks, and a trumpet. orchestral pop.. very sufjan stevens/belle and sebastian.. awesome.

the actual song came together about as well as any other, but getting it out of the computer was a real bitch. i ended up recording it on a cassette tape, then taking the headphone jack out and back into the computer. wow. its a shame, kinda, but it works.

the lyrics are all jacob.. he described it as 'pulling teeth' but i think it worked out alright. just for the hell of it, here's what he sent me:

The F. B. I.
At six ohhh three
What an amazing feeling

And her face
With looks like yellow
Red and claro kill a fellow.

Let's stay in the equation
Ambiguous licentiousness
I know
I know your place but not your motion
I know
I knw your motion but not your place

Wake up and breathe
Or cough and snort
Another day of Latin

Green sweaters
And some tattoos
With her formic sub rosa

Trained in problematics
Ambiguous licentiousness
I know
I know your place but not your motion
I know
I know your motion but not your place

Bondage and fears
Free my friends
From the snowy mouths of tigers

Cromagnus
Did not believe
When I spelled it claro

Face transplants
Ambiguous Licentiousness
I know
I know your place but not your motion
I know
I know your motion but not your place


thanks jacob!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God Mr. Mills is still writing! Hallelujah! I still think "White Whale" is a not a good band name...even still...they should get back together.
p.s. can you tell James and Jacob that I still insist that Wagner was a nazi? thanks!
p.p.s. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Thank God Mr. Mills is still writing! Hallelujah! I still think "White Whale" is a not a good band name...even still...they should get back together.
p.s. can you tell James and Jacob that I still insist that Wagner was a nazi? thanks!
p.p.s. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hey Greg, If I'm not mistaken, the argument was not so much about whether or not Wagner was a Nazi, (he might very well have been in some capacity, that is a question for historians) but whether that should be an influencing facter in enjoying the music. As a modern analogy, consider Aaron MacD. Sure, I don't condone all of his behaviour, but I can still smile ear to ear when I hear his music. Anyway, I'm down to wrestle (greco-roman no doubt) over this some more if you come out to Montréal some time.
James