Thursday, July 15, 2010

Friday morning

Well, today is the last day of school here in Sapporo. It's been a tough week, I think.. yesterday was the final test, which wasn't too bad, but today is the final presentation. It's gonna be in front of everybody (whatever that means) and it's a little bit nerve-wracking..

Additionally, I got asked to give a speech tonight at the graduation ceremony/farewell party. I suppose it's an honor, but I don't think anybody else wanted to do it, either.. ha! Maybe they didnt pick me so much as I was the first one who didn't say no. ha. ha. So I've spent the last 3 days memorizing stuff for the test, stuff for the presentation, and this speech that Harano-sensei and I wrote. Jeez..

I should mention that I'm not really that good at Japanese, and it's a long speech all in Japanese (of course).. in front of a bunch of Japanese host families. I'm a little worried they won't understand it ('cause of my bad pronounciation and such) and the students won't understand it ('cause its in Japanese!).. and it'll just be me making noises with my mouth for 5 minutes in front of everyone. Hopefully they know when to clap at the end..

Anyhow, at the other end of it we'll have survived a month in Japan, which was pretty amazing.. We've still got the weekend to party and relax and recoup before the journey home (we leave here on Monday, umm.. I think we might get home Monday, by going back in time..) Not completely sure, but I'm not gonna worry about that now..

Aaron

3 comments:

Leah said...

wow, this whole time I've been convinced that you are BACK in time over there, based on the fact that the earth spins toward the east, and you are west of us. but now i see that they call japan the FAR EAST, because you are really just most of the globe ahead of us and into the next day. interesting to think about time in such a way. you should give your speech in japanese about that.

John said...

Air travel, in general, would be so much nicer if I could arrive at my destination prior to my departure. Certainly we would visit Portland more often.

Hopefully the speech is being recorded for posterity, including subtitles.

Safe travels!

heavy said...

i think that making noise is something you excel at, and you should be excited to again have the opportunity.